Friday, May 30, 2008

I had my first scare today at the park with McKenna. She was playing with an older child, maybe 5 years old or so and I noticed that the girl took her hand and started leading her towards the parking lot. In fact, by the time I jogged myself over there, they were between a couple vehicles and I heard the lady behind the wheel say, "Jenn, her mommy is coming to get her" Well the lady said 'sorry', and I grabbed McKenna and told her she needed to stay on the playground. They were all gathered around the back of the vehicle where there was this wheelchair, and I think that was what this girl was trying to show McKenna because as we marched back to the playground McKenna was bawling her eyes out about it. I think she thought I was mad at her as well and I kept telling her I wasn't mad, just scared that the little girl took her away. So I realized today that we need to discuss stranger danger. Just never thought the first lesson would be about a child! Ugh, my heart was beating so hard! Anyway, that was the highlight of my day. That and having to yell at McKenna about deliberately pushing a younger child down.
She had been trying to give this kid a hug as the kid reached the bottom of a slide and the little girl kind of just shrugged her off, so McKenna followed her a few steps and pushed her down! I admit I ran over there and swatted her butt in front of whoever cared to look our way. I made her apologize and told her we don't push kids and if it happened again we were leaving the park. She seemed to understand me and behaved after that. It just makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration when I see behavior like that because I wonder where it comes from! We don't hit or push or shove at home so I wonder if it's some kind of impulse control thing and a phase she's going through.

Who knows? Potty training is continuing to go well though, so I'm grateful about that.

No comments: