Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I was sitting here thinking about how we learn things and start forming opinions about these same things.

If someone told me that I'd be a housewife in my later years, I would've said 'okay, yeah I probably will', but if that same person told me that I'd also be homeschooling I would have said, 'no way'. My early opinions of homeschooling were much the same as lots of other peoples. Steriotypical ideas that homeschooled kids were weird, non-socialized, geeky, and came from radical families were set firm in my mind. How did I make this total 180 degree turn in my life?

I've realized that we tend not to question what information we're given at a young age, or what info we're given from supposed 'experts' even as adults. When a gifted scientist comes up to you and tells you that all of his research has led him to conclude with 100% certainty that our world will change drastically in the next 5 years if we don't do something about greenhouse emissions, most people might say 'okay, he must be right, he's a much respected scientist' and if we don't question what he says, his opinions stick with us and color our own thinking as our own opinions form on the subject. I find that many of us don't tend to go through the process of doubting everything that anyone in a position of authority says. Of course, that would be very tiring! But what about doing it only 5% of the time?

Until I talked with a homeschooling mom, my opinions on homeschooling were set. Noel and I were looking at public school and that was that. But her experience with teaching at home (actually, she doesn't do true homeschooling - it's public school at home) were very positive for her children and I could see that they were bright, happy and social. From that one encounter, my journey towards homeschooling and everything else I've gotten interested in has come. Now, I will be homeschooling in a drastically different way than this person, but nevertheless I embraced learning and researching this type of education wholeheartedly.

Ever since deciding to homeschool, I have learned so much more about what is really important. Homeschoolers tend to be rebels of a sort. They're going against the main after all, so from it stemmed my interest in raw milk, homesteading, environmental issues, fossil fuels and the peak oil theory and much more. I find myself so fulfilled even though I am at home away from the work force. I have so much more time to learn about what interests me and that will only make me a better 'teacher' for my children. Dialectics, the ability to doubt what is said and then turn around and assume the opposite, for learning or arguments sake, can be a great tool to developing our persuasiveness and awareness.

When teaching my children I need to remember that when they develop an interest in one subject, they will learn and expand so much more than if they were forced to keep to a single point of interest. The love of learning is the springboard to higher knowledge, and eventually to the search for truth.

No comments: