Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Just some notes on my recovery - mainly for me so I don't forget. It wasn't the best, considering how well I did for the birth. The uterus is supposed to contract down pretty quickly, which is helped by breast-feeding and of course I was doing that. But my uterus was non-compliant! I ended up with clots that had to be 'eh-hem' removed! I lost a bit of blood and ended up with a shot of pitocin to help everything clamp down. My first trip to the bathroom left me dizzy in the middle. Jerusha transferred me to a rolling chair but the minute my butt was in it I passed out. She and Colleen carried me to the bed where I was revived with smelling salts. I had the craziest 'dreams' while I was out and remember coming to seeing a small point of light and then everything pulled back and there were their faces right over me. Felt like a cartoon. I remember saying "Whoa!" in a very stoned, stuperous sort of voice. Makes me laugh a bit now. So I looked like a ghost for awhile. Ended up staying at the birth center for about 28 hours, then they let me go. I would still get light-headed being on my feet for any length of time, but short walks were fine and I felt that I could be light-headed at home just as well as there.

I did end up with what they call a skid-mark when Eli was born. It's given me a bit of trouble and at times it looks like a tear, but it's starting to look and feel better every day. This morning is the first morning Noel went to work and my mom will be by later to help with the kids. I've been putting Eli in the mini crib downstairs since all he does is sleep, but he's been more alert - especially yesterday- so I may see about wearing him in the sling today. That's what I'd like to do most of the time when he's awake.

We took him to Dr. Butuk, his new pediatrician yesterday and he has a slight touch of jaundice which we can fix by keeping him near bright lights for a little bit while he's awake. He also had a little spot above his penis which the doc said to put an antiseptic on and watch for anymore as it could be a sign of a staff infection! So we've been carefully watching and cleaning him for that issue.

I love the little squeaks he makes and I know that he'll outgrow it all too soon. They don't stay these little helpless infants forever. And this is my last one! Madelaine is already really not a toddler anymore! She'll be 2 on the 25th of this month.

Enough for now - I need to do a load of laundry and since the baby monitor is quiet, go up and check on my son anyway. LOL

No comments: