Monday, August 09, 2004

Well, we had our childbirth education class this past Saturday. We did an all-day class, so it was long, but we brought snacks, blankets and pillows and got a bit of a lunch break.
The class was given in a birthing center, not a hospital, and we took a quick tour. The place was small, but decorated like a home. It had 5 birthing rooms that were done up like fancy hotel rooms, with one having a LARGE old-fashioned claw foot tub for hydrotherapy and giving birth in water. All the others also had large tubs with jets and plenty of room for visiting friends and family. They were nice, but the rooms over at the hospital where I'll give birth were nice, too. They were larger and were similar to a large hotel room with pictures on the wall, and nice cabinets and comfy chairs and one room had a cot for someone to sleep or nap on. Most of the rooms have jacuzzi tubs, but some just have showers... we have to remember to request a room with a jacuzzi tub upon admittance. I guess it's not first come first serve, but first "ask". hehe

So, back to the class... there were videos... one of 3 different birth scenarios. One with no pain med's, one with a narcotic given, and one with an epidural. They also had differing coaching methods. One couple had a doula, for instance. Which for those who don't know is like a trained birthing partner that helps you through the whole process. We saw a video on breastfeeding that was pretty good since I will go that route, if all works well. There was some lecture time and we practiced wrapping a baby snugly in a blanket as well as saw how to diaper a baby. We were taught a couple of different labor positions, which is why we brought our blankies and pillows, and were taught some breathing techniques... the guys got to learn how to count with us through a contraction when we get to the pushing phase and how to bring us out of a possible panic scenario if our contractions suddenly start to double. Noel did really well... we both did, I think, and we've got some exercises to practice, so I think we'll be a good team for when the time comes.

We also went through some massages and different ways for the coaches to hold us to relieve some tension. It was pretty informative all in all... I just wish there was a little more spent on the breathing technicques... we didn't go over panting or Lamaze or the Bradley method, just taking deep breathes to get through contractions, and using some visual imagery as a focal point during the active phase of labor.
I've decided I'm going to try to go natural the whole way. I understand that the pushing phase can be longer with an epidural, plus you have to be catheterized (yuck, don't want to go there) although that's probably going to be a minor deal when compared with the relief I'd get. If I do an epidural, I'd probably try to time it so that it would wear off right as I'm about the start pushing so I could feel everything and have a shorter pushing time. But who knows what will happen when the time comes...

I've drawn up a birth plan for what my ideal labor and delivery scenario would entail. Noel and I are flexible, and we understand that not everything will happen as we want, but I've been informed that it's a nice way to let everyone know beforehand some of the things that are important to you. For instance, I don't want an episiotomoy unless there's a chance of extensive tearing... I want to delay the use of an IV for as long as possible. I want Noel to be able to cut the cord... I want to be able to hold the baby after birth unless there's complications, and I want to go natural and not have pain med's pushed on me unless I ask for them or I'm just getting totally exhausted. That's the bare bones of it. Oh, and since I want to breastfeed, I don't want bottles or pacifiers give to the baby.

I worded it in a really nice way so it wouldn't come off sounding like a list of demands, because of course I don't want any disgruntled nurses thinking I'm telling them how to do their job. They are they for my safety and health and if for some reason most of my requests can't be met, then that's fine as long as everyone comes out safe and sound.

Well, time to adios. Gotta get to work.

No comments: